Recently purchased contact lenses and are now confused about how to care for the little translucent, flying saucers? Lucky for you, here are the Do’s and Don’ts of contact lens wear, courtesy of the expert opticians at Cohen’s Fashion Optical.
- Always wash your hands with anti-bacterial soap prior to handling your contact lenses.
- Regularly clean your contact lenses, handling with care.
- Remove your lens before putting eye-makeup on.
- Store lenses in a proper lens storage case. Remember to replace the case [at the minimum] every three months. Clean the case after each use and let it air dry in between uses.
- Follow the recommended contact lens replacement schedule prescribed by your optometrist.
- Remove contact lenses when being submerged in water.
- Allow your eyes to rest by wearing your glasses when contact lenses are not needed.
- See your optometrist if you are not completely satisfied with your contacts prescribed to you.
- Share lenses with others!
- Switch brands of contact lens care products unless you ask your optometrist before hand; not all lens care systems are compatible with all lenses!
- Touch lenses with fingernails, or your contacts might rip!
- Sleep with your contact lenses in your eyes [unless you want an eye infection]!
- Rub your eyes while wearing contact lenses!
- Store or place contact lenses in heated areas or next to hot appliances! This includes electronics such as televisions.
- Use any kind of eye drops before consulting your optometrist!
Ask yourself these 3 questions each time you wear your lenses:
- Do my eyes feel good?
- Do my eyes look good?
- Do I see well?
If the answer to one of these questions is “No,” then forgo wearing your contact lenses and consult your optometrist. Always remember to keep eye glasses handy!