Let’s get eyeducated! We all know the basic facts about our eyes; mainly that without them we wouldn’t be able to see. However, there is wealth of information that you might not have been made privy to. Things are about to get interesting…are you ready?
- The human eye contains a blind spot where the optic never passes through the retina. Our brain uses information from our other eye to fill in the vision gap so the gap is never noticed!
- Your eyes are composed of more than two million working parts!
- The muscles that move the eyes are the strongest in the human body, relative to their size.
- Babies are not able to produce tears until about six to eight weeks after being born.
- Eyes are the only part of the human body that can fully function during any given time, without rest.
- The cornea is the only part of the human body that does not receive blood supply.
- A fingerprint has 40 different unique characteristics, while an iris has 256. This is the reason for the growing use of iris scans for security purposes.
- Only 1/6th of your eyeball is exposed to the outside world!
- And just in case you were wondering, it is possible to sneeze with your eyes open.
Who knew eyes could be so amazingly complex!? You only have one pair, so take good care of them by scheduling routine eye exams.